Useful Tips About Eating Clean with JAM
The Eat Clean with JAM menu is designed to give your body a break from some of our food indiscretions. It eliminates most foods that are known to cause inflammation in our bodies, which can cause digestive problems, sluggishness, aches and pains, auto-immune issues, allergies, insomnia, sometimes leads to serious illness…the list goes on. By giving your system a little break, you most likely will notice some differences in how you feel over all, your energy levels, your sleep, oh, and you could lose a couple pounds.
Things to Do During Your Clean Week
Some additional things you could do to help your body along would be:
1. Start your day: try oil pulling…it is weird at first, but your teeth will feel super clean and you can actually tell toxins are being pulled out. I take 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil in my mouth and switch it around for 10-20 minutes. Then I spit it out, rinse and do a quick brush before eating or drinking anything else. This should be done on an empty stomach.
2. Make a cider vinegar mixture …I drink this as a warm “tea” before I have coffee or breakfast:
2 tablespoons raw cider vinegar
1/2-1 lemon juiced
1-2 teaspoons raw honey
I add hot water and sip. You could make it ahead and have it in fridge if you would rather have it cold. It takes some getting used to, but I have noticed a big difference in how many colds I get as well as over all gut health.
3. You could get a high quality probiotic if you do not already take them.
4. One of the links mentions tongue scraping, which has benefits, though I do not do it as I am squeamish about it for some reason!
5. Dry brushing your skin. (see the below links for information on benefits and how to on this)
7. Drink lots of water!!
Extra snacks: Snacks to have on hand: cut vegetables, fruit, unsweetened sun butter or pumpkin butter for dipping (if you want to keep nut free, almond butter if you are ok with nuts…they can cause inflammation, which is something this week is designed to eliminate for a few days…up to how you feel), Mary’s gone crackers, seeds like pumpkin and sunflower, dry fruit, nut free kale chips.
Things You Should NOT Do This Week
1. Do not drink alcohol (big one)
2. Stay away from processed foods and sugars
3. No wheat or gluten
4. No dairy
5. Other things which can cause inflammation: beans, eggs, grains, nuts. Aduki beans or lentils are ok and this menu has some soy protein as it is vegan.
You can have a cup of organic coffee in the morning if you drink that and use an unsweetened, dairy free “milk” if you like (I prefer a kind that does not have a huge list of ingredients, my favorite is Califa for coffee because it does not separate…but it does have almonds, so do not use if you have a nut allergy!)
Additional Resources and Useful Information
Here are a few links to check out on the beneﬁts of clean eating and recommendations on things to add to your routine:
This one discusses possible side effects:
And here are some benefits to sticking with it after your week is over . . . at least partly!